28 October 2013

Take two pumpkins {carve it, puree it, deseed it, bake it}

Today has been a wet, windy, sunny, altogether a strange mix of Autumn weather kind of day. Perfect for baking. Luckily we escaped the worst of the storm so we dodged the showers and went out to buy pumpkins. Last time we did the whole pumpkin thing we just carved and binned the rest. Completely wasteful I know so this time we were going to do things differently.

I turned to the power of social media. Pumpkin recipe upon pumpkin recipe has been pinned to Pinterest over the past month - the majority calling for cans of pumpkin puree. So I asked good old Twitter for some pumpkin advice and as a result used all of the pumpkin up.

Well, nearly. Not sure what we could have done with the skin of the cut out pieces - any suggestions?

Carved Pumpkin // 76sunflowers
Pumpkin Puree // 76sunflowers
Pumpkin Seeds // 76sunflowers
Spiced Pumpkin Cake // 76sunflowers


We carved, pureed, deseeded and baked.

Thank you to the lovely Modern Mummy for her Pumpkin Puree Recipe and Over A Cuppa for her Spiced Pumpkin Cake Recipe.

Pinterest is providing me with lots of ideas for roasting the seeds - my heart is going with Cinnamon at the moment - watch this space.

So, do you use all of the pumpkin?!

x x x
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Katy from Modern Mummy28 October 2013 at 15:07

    Your cake looks amazing!! Glad I could be of service with the pumpkin puree recipe... Its such a shame to let all the flesh go to waste when it tastes so good!
    I like roasting my seeds with chilli powder, turmeric and salt.... super spicy and very addictive! x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pumpkins so much, they are my favourite food. So many things you can do with them. I like to roast the seeds in garlic, chilli and paprika. You could always roast the cut out bits with some other veggies. I'm going to make this cake this week :) thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, we toasted the seeds last year and they were soo good that we are most definitely doing the same again this year! i think we spiced them up a bit with a bit of paprika...seriously good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm that sounds lie a nice savoury version for the seeds. I've roasted some with maple syrup and cinnamon but came out a bit bitter :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, definitely like the idea if roasted chunks. I have two more waiting to be dealt with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a lot of love for spicy seeds! May have to try some savoury x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, thank you! x x

© 76 sunflowers

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig