6 January 2012

Project Shack

Big relaxing sigh - the children are now back to school and preschool I have reclaimed my Fridays - hoorah! Although it's still only January I am looking ahead to Spring and Summer in the garden. I have accepted that I need to fall back in love with my house again - see here - and with the house loving comes some garden loving and, more specifically for me, some shack loving! The lovely Kerry, aka @thelovebump, reignited my passion for my garden shack last night with an interesting little project she has got on the boil - watch this space.

My shack was always intended to be my space, so the plastic ELC kitchen will have to find a new home - the children are NOT turning it into a playroom!

Project Shack started over three and a half years ago and is still not completely finished. That's what happens when you have children - nothing gets done.
My lovely father in law did the majority of the work from digging out the garden...


... to laying the concrete base...


...to putting up the shack.



With a little help from Edith.


Since it's structural completion I have put in a table - actually a little too big so hope to change it at some point - my old feeding glider chair, and lots of girly hearts and knick knacks!



What I really want to do, now that I have my Fridays back to myself, is.....

Fit some curtains for the side windows and possibly the front and door windows too.
Make my own bunting with coordinating fabric.
Cosy up the chair with a patchwork quilt or appliqued throw - made by me obviously!
Run some electricity into it so I can set up a work blog station.
Maybe paint it rather than stain it - the jury's still out on this one.
Get some heating in there for the cooler days!
Maybe insulate the walls - but that would spoil the quirky panelling inside, grrr.
Fit a better lock so I can hide in there securely on the weekends - HA!

I hope to achieve some of the above over the next few months but whatever I do to it my shack will always hold a special place in my heart as it was put up for me to create my own little space for some peace and quiet (?!?)- just a couple of weeks after this little sausage was born in May 2008!


That's why it's taken this long to even think about finishing it!

SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I'm very envious of your shack! Look forward to following your progress as you turn it into your own little haven. And what an adorable baby pic - cute as a button!

    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I can't stop singing Loveshack in my head! Sooo jealous of your space even as it is. Can you imagine how jealous I could get when you have completed your projects? OFF THE SCALE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing the finished the shack, although it looks pretty much perfect to me as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow a little space all of your own! I am very jealous! I hope you make the most of it and I bet it will look fabulous when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your shack! It looks perfect for sitting in and doing some crafting! I want one! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure it will be fab. I can't wait to see it! E was born May 2008 as well, what a lovely summer for us both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone, Project Shack is well and truly underway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the shack looks just wonderful. *wistful sigh* Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, thank you! x x

© 76 sunflowers

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig