1 April 2013

Fishbone Bookmarks {#pinaddicts April}


Hey all. I hope you are having a lovely Easter weekend and you have seen some sunshine. We've been having a bit of a lazy school holiday here but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I have managed to pay some attention to the blog and have got the sewing machine out again. The two have been combined for this month's #pinaddicts challenge.

Fishbone Bookmarks!

I have been desperately trying to read more books lately and occasionally have more than one on the go. I hate turning down corners of pages so thought I would make some more bookmarks.

I made these ones here for a previous challenge if you want to take a peek.

I pinned this image to my #pinaddicts board on Pinterest but the image didn't link to any tutorial so I went about having a go making them from scratch.

Here's how I did it.


First, having got my stash of fabric, ribbons and sewing machine ready, I made a cardboard template based on the size of a book. Using the templates I cut out fabric bones, twice the width of the template with a piece of interfacing to go in between, and two pieces each for the head and tail, again with a piece of interfacing.




I then sewed the bones separately and around the curved parts of the head and tail. I then just played around with the layout and pinned the pieces in place with the central bone sandwiched between the two pieces of fabric for the head and tail.

Then it was over to the sewing maching to sew it all together.



I played around with using ribbon for the bones. This meant I could sandwich the smaller bones within the larger ones. A bit fiddly with pins and the sewing maching but it worked well.

It was quite a simple sewing project as there was no right side together sewing and turning bits inside out. This meant the edges are quite rough and ready looking but I think that adds to the charm of having a half eaten fish stuck in your bedtime reading!

I am linking up to the April #pinaddicts challenge.

The #pinaddicts challenge works as follows:

Pin to your #pinaddicts board on Pinterest.
Choose something to make for the challenge.
In your post put the original image with original links.
Post your fantastic effort at recreating.

Link up and go and check out the other #pinaddicts at the pinaddicts challenge SITE!

x x x



SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Viv! These are gorgeous!!! you are one clever chicksta! I'm getting the linky up later today :) Mwah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect for using up the teeny offcuts that just don't seem to have a use but I can't bear to throw away

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them! I really need to get myself a sewing machine, I keep researching them and not knowing which one to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love them too.I'm the same as Feisty.I need to get my machine out at some point.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, thank you! x x

© 76 sunflowers

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig