29 August 2012

Dad

It's been a while since I last saw you but still I couldn't believe how much you have changed.

I remember you laughing so hard your eyes would water. Now you look so sad.

I look into your eyes and they seem so confused, so far away, so lost.

I'm not sure you know who I am.

The children look wary of you. That makes me sad. I don't think they really understand.

I don't understand.

I remember you cycling to work and back every day on your three-speed bike.

I remember you making us walk for miles in whatever the weather - we dare not complain.

I remember you in your beloved vegetable garden. Mum would always moan that you grew too much, especially when it was just me left at home.

I remember you hanging onto me on the terraces at Carrow Road full of nerves and excitement.

I remember you in your office at home, your head over your calculator, working on accounts in your own time to bring more money in to put us through university and have a good start in life - thank you Dad.

Now I remember you looking sad, slouched in your chair, needing help to sip some drink.

Now I remember you lying asleep in your bed, so peaceful.

Then we had to go.

I hope I see you again Dad.

x x x
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Made me sad too. Good to write x I hope you see your Dad again soon too x

    Take care x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it is so hard for our parents to slip away from us. I hope that your Dad shines though in his eyes for you at least one more time. Memories are all I have left and after the years of pain and loss, they are a comfort to me now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like he was a great dad and that you have some lovely memories, hold onto the good ones xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's broken me. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sweetheart. Hold onto those memories and see him like that. I'd imagine he'd hate to think you were seeing him like this now? Big hug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sweetheart. Hold onto those memories and see him like that. I'd imagine he'd hate to think you were seeing him like this now? Big hug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of love. It's a hard thing to see. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Viv. Such a sad post. I hope you get to see him again too. Like someone has already said, hang on to the good memories. Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your kind words x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, thank you! x x

© 76 sunflowers

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig